National Post - 29 jan 2005 - Canada
A French wine born in Canada

The story of Toronto’s French wine begins with the Laurent Quetton St George. This French Royalist exile fought against the Republicans during the French Revolution and fled to England at the end of the 18th century. He added the name St George to his French name because he arrived in his new country on April 23 -–St George Day.
The British government offered him land in Upper Canada. There, he started his career as a businessman in the fur trade and accumulated an important fortune.
After the return of King Louis XVIII to the throne in 1815, Quetton St George returned to France. He settled back in his homeland, buying a piece of land in Montpellier in the Languedoc, known as Le Château de l’Engarran.
After Quetton St George passed away at age 50, his son Henry returned to Toronto in 1847 to claim his inheritance and start importing the château’s wine.
Almost 160 years later, the winery purchased by Quetton St George still produces wine and it is still imported to Canada.
Today, the wine produced by Le Château de l’Engarran is matriarchal in nature � in a profession dominated largely by men, sisters Constance Rérolle and Diane Losfelt are breaking ground by managing the old winery. They produce a little over 200 000 bottles of wine every year.


© Château de l'Engarran 2003